Southern Girl Creations

Thursday, August 12, 2010

My Great Grandmother...

Today August 12, 2010 would have been my great grandmothers 110th birthday.  Let me tell you a little bit about her.  She was super spunky...  She was cool enough that at age 5 when my Mom was telling me that  I had to eat all my food at a restaurant great-grandma helped me throw it under the table so it looked like I ate it...  Everyone was welcome at her house and when you arrived there was always a whole table full of food waiting.  She never knew how to drive.  She had 12 children 10 of them lived into adulthood and 8 are still alive today... She swore she would live to be 100 years old.  And she had a quilt frame that was mounted to the ceiling of her living room.  In the winter she lowered the quilt frame and made beautiful hand made quilts.
Here are two that I am lucky enough to own....



I'll tell you a bit about the pink one with the embroidered roses.  It is what I asked for for my High School graduation.  There are 12 large blocks that each of my grandmothers sisters embroidered. There is also one embroidered by my mom, one by my aunt, one by great grandma and one by my grandmother.  There are corner blocks with each of my grandmothers brothers names and my uncles name on them.  My grandmother and mom put the quilt together for me and my great grandmother hand quilted it.  It was truly a labor of love that is one of my prize possessions. 

Back to great-grandma  she swore she would live to be 100 years old.  She was born on August 12th, 1900.  She passed away on August 12, 2000.  Most of the family had been with her in the nursing home that day to celebrate her birthday and just before we all left she slipped into the arms of the lord.  She had done exactly what she said she would do she lived to be 100 years old.

I miss you great-grandma!
Love
~Sherry~

2 comments:

Jessica said...

They are both beautiful. I think the purple is my favorite.

Debbie said...

Hey NBF... the quilts are beautiful, but the memories are priceless!!

Post a Comment