Southern Girl Creations

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Good Ole Biscuits

Savannah loves these biscuits so much I normally make two batches of them and freeze one for later!


2 1/4 Cups of Bisquick
2/3 Cup of Butter Milk
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of melted butter
extra melted butter for brushing on top of biscuits

I make thick biscuits so I usually have 8 in my batch. 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  I always bake them in a cast iron skillet (a cookie sheet will work) but somehow it just seems more southern like my great-grandma made them if I cook them in a skillet.

When using my skillet I place about a tablespoon of shortening in the pan and let it melt in the oven while it is preheating.

Mix the Bisquick, buttermilk and sugar together in a bowl. Add the melted butter into batter and stir until a soft dough forms. turn out dough onto a well floured working surface.  Knead 20 times(this is a very forgiving dough) and don't be afraid to get the additional flour into the dough.  I usually roll the dough to about a 3/4 inch thickness.. this is your preference. and cut them out with a round cutter or a glass.   Place close together in the skillet you should hear it sizzle a little bit in the melted shortening.  This will add a little crunch to the bottom crust(extra good) as I call it.  bake for 8 to 10 minutes. brush the tops with melted butter as soon as you remove them from them oven. 

when freezing a batch of dough I cut the biscuit rounds out and place them on a cookie sheet making sure that they DO NOT touch.  I place the entire cookie sheet in the freezer until they are frozen solid and then put them in a storage bag.  To cook the frozen biscuits I heat the oven to 425 degrees and cook them for 17 to 22 minutes watching them closely.

0 comments:

Post a Comment